Sunday, May 24, 2015

DIY: {how to: TUTU} step by step


I'm sure there are a million different tutorials on how to make a tutu
But if you like mine, here's a step by step! 

(Headband - ETSY simplychiccouture)
(Customized shirt - ETSY hpthreads)


All you need: •tulle •ribbon •scissors 

First, I purchased 6 yards of tulle from Joanne's fabric for .99 cents a yard. Awesome deal! 
FYI: This is for a 2 year old, so older kids may need more tulle!

Lay out your tulle and fold in half.


I individually cut each piece about an inch in size. 
I'm all about non perfect crafts
So I didn't bother to measure each piece perfectly, 
but if you'd rather do it then go for it :) 


After you finish cutting all your tulle, then take one piece at a time
And cut in half. (As shown) so then you'll have double the tulle. 


In between step : I measured my daughters waist with
The ribbon I purchased, while leaving a little extra to tie a bow. I then tied the ribbon around a chair to keep it secure. 

•SIDE NOTE: I've also used elastic before! If that's what
You'd rather use than ribbon!


Moving On... the next step is take 2 pieces of tulle, (for a fuller tutu) & Wrap over the ribbon (or elastic)


Make a loop


Pull tulle through the loop and make a tight knot



It should look like this :)



Again, I wanted this tutu to be flowy and whimsical, so it's all about preference! If you wanted a thicker looking tutu, you can tie a few of the same color side by side. 

Here's the final result!


Photo by: 
Michelle Coronado Photography


Thanks for stopping by!
Happy crafting!
Xoxo, Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment